Stay Tuned to Technology with Slashdot
Scanning those thick books and newsletters to satisfy your zest for the latest in technology can be boring. Did you ever wish for a place that offers superior technical know-how through discussions? Your silent prayers have an answer- Slashdot. Slashdot is a social networking Web site for technology lovers. You can enjoy the benefits of the participation age and share the up-to-date technology news with friends and fans.
The Web site was launched in 1997 and is now owned by SourceForge, Inc. Slashdot features user-submitted articles and stories about what’s current in technology, news, and games. However, the articles and stories are moderated by Slashdot’s own team of editors. The site is like a typical social networking blog except that its editors ensure that what’s going to be published publicly is accurate and right.
Moderation forms an integral part of Slashdot submission. You submit a story or a news headline, and the moderator decides whether or not to allow it to be posted on the main page. Each moderator has been given a set of points associated with specific comments to play with. Their comments decide whether you gain or loose karma points. Karma point is just an integer that rates your overall activity on Slashdot.
In the presence of such an effective evaluation system, one has to ensure that the story ready for post is not taken from another source and is not redundant. A catchy subject line is a must to gain the editor’s attention. All the stories submitted on Slashdot are slotted as per the sections they fall into. These sections ensure easy readability and searching on the site. The sections are Apple, Ask Slashdot, Backslash, and Books to name a few.
Let’s look at some of the interesting features of Slashdot:
- Submit the latest news and articles. It’s the surest way to get on Slashdot’s main page.
- If the facts in the article are not very deep, use humor. It is possibly the most important thing required to make your presence felt in the online community.
- Become a moderator on Slashdot. For this, you have to be an active contributor with very high karma points.
- When commenting a story, ensure you are fair as this is one of the criteria if you intend to become a moderator on Slashdot in the future.
- You can also meta-moderate. This is the second line of moderation where a user can choose to moderate a set of comments that’s already been moderated. This helps to track correctness of previous moderation and decide if the first line moderation was fair or unfair.
- Slashdot provides an option for tagging stories. This is helpful in organizing the stories so that you can locate them easily.
- Slashdot works best with Mozilla Firefox or Internet Explorer 7.
To join Slashdot, visit Slashdot dot com and create an account. This is no-cost, but there are also paid options. An email containing password information is sent to the address you provided. Retrieve your password from your email and log on to Slashdot. Now, you are ready to post links, cast votes, and get noticed on Slashdot. When you create your Slashdot account, your karmic count is neutral.
When you log in to your account, the latest in news, technology, and more is displayed. Read the stories on topics ranging from free software and Linux to elections in Iowa. Vote for the stories you like and post a comment on stories where you have something to add.
You would also want to submit your scoops on Slashdot.
Now that you have learned about the benefits of Slashdot, why wait. Join Slashdot today and be part of a community that thrives on technology.